I’ve never been a big sandwich person but when it comes to ice cream sandwiches, I’m always on board.
The principle is simple really. Pick a cookie that is soft but strong enough to act as the backbone of the sandwich. Pick a creamy ice cream with a complimentary flavor to the chosen cookies to be the body of the sandwich.
Last week’s pumpkin ice cream was such a hit, I thought I would pair the next batch with one of my favorite types of cookies: snickerdoodle.
Similar to sugar cookies, snickerdoodle cookies are very basic in makeup, which is probably part of the reason they’ve become so trendy of late. What isn’t there to love about a cookie built from ingredients found in every pantry and topped with a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
While there is some debate as to where they originated, one thing is certain: snickerdoodle flavored everything are here to stay!
Cookie Ingredient - adapted from Averie Cooks’ Snickerdoodle Cookie
- ½ Cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ Cup (110g) granulated sugar plus about ¼ cup for topping
- ½ Cup (65g) light brown sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ Cup (190g) flour
- ½ Teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ Teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- Cream butter, brown sugar and ½ cup granulated sugar in a large bowl
- Mix in egg and vanilla
- Gently mix in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar until just combined
- Form cookies out of 2 tablespoons of dough each and place on 2 baking sheets
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate for an hour (up to overnight)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon
- Remove one tray from the fridge and roll dough balls in sugar cinnamon mixture
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before transferring cookies to cooling rack
- Remove second tray from oven and repeat process
To make the ice cream sandwiches
- Allow cookies to cool completely before adding ice cream
- Remove pumpkin ice cream from freezer to soften before using
- Scoop ice cream onto one cookie and top with a second cookie
- Enjoy immediately