You are probably sick and tired of hearing about the election. Trust me, I get it. That being said, if you are anything like me though, you’ll cope with election stress on Tuesday with wine and chocolate so this election bark will get you halfway there.
Festive bark is one of the easiest ways to pull together something sweet so you really have no reason not to whip this up on your way home from work. After you vote of course.
I told one of my coworkers that I was going to be making this and she thought I was going to be manually sorting the M&Ms by color. While I appreciate her faith in my dedication to baking on theme, there is a far easier solution. I stumbled upon a stack of red, white and blue M&Ms in the checkout line at my local Safeway so I was saved from needed to search for the colors I wanted.
The key with making bark is that you won’t want to make it to thick. The thinner it is, the easier it will be to break into pieces. If you plan to eat it in one go as a large block though, ignore this advice. I like using a rubber spatula to direct the chocolate on the pan and make it into the size and width of my choice. Bonus: I get to lick the spoon clean before I clean up!
- 8 Ounces of chocolate
- 1 Cup blue candy melts
- 1 Cup red candy melts
- ⅓ Cup crushed red white and blue M&Ms
- ¼ Cup red white and blue star sprinkles
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering with a non stick mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, once fully melted, pour over prepared baking sheet and use a rubber spatula to shape it into a wide rectangle. Place the blue and red candy melts into bowls (one color per bowl) and place in the microwave. Microwave for up to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Pour candy melts over chocolate and use the spatula to spread it. Top with M&Ms and sprinkles. Refrigerate until firm.