Guys. Peanut butter AND caramel.... together.
I won’t pretend to have come up with this combination but boy am I glad to have finally discovered it. During my trip to Charleston last week, I stopped in at Revelator Coffee on King street to refuel. Sitting on a platter at the cash register, just waiting to be devoured, was a large peanut butter caramel donut. I hated on it for all of a minute before I realized that both of those ingredients are amazing alone, so why wouldn’t they be even better together?
Of course I was right, peanut butter and caramel complement each other so well that combining them is absolutely genius. I was back all of a week before I started looking for ways to recreate that flavor profile from the comfort of my home. I can’t just sit around waiting for Revelator Coffee to come to DC now can I?
These peanut butter cookies are essentially just small vessels from which to drink the caramel. Yes, it’s as amazing as it sounds. They are just small enough to be eaten in two bites but large enough that you get plenty of flavor and satisfaction. I can’t promise that your sweet tooth will be satisfied with just one but that seems like a conversation you should have with yourself.
While delicious, these bites don’t travel well so if you are planning on serving them to friends or coworkers, wait to add the caramel to the cookie cups! I brought a whole bunch of these into the office this week and thank goodness I waited to finish making these until I got to my destination. As I sat at my desk scooping caramel onto cookie bites, getting covered in caramel in the process because I’m apparently a mess magnet, I was imagining the mess that could have been had I combined these and then packed them in a tupperware. Let’s just say, enormous, the mess would have been enormous.
Peanut Butter Cup Ingredients
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
Recipe (Adapted from an allrecipes.com recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. In a medium bowl, cream together sugar, peanut butter and butter. Mix in the milk, followed by the egg and the vanilla extract, blending completely after each addition. Gently mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Scoop dough into mini muffin tin molds filling it about ¾ of the way. Use the back of a wooden spoon to create a hole in the middle. Repeat until the molds are all full. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Before letting cookies cool in the mold, use the back of the wooden spoon to push down the middle of the cookie cups and make a whole for the filling. While the cookie cups cool, make the caramel.
- Place sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly while the sugar clumps, and then melts and browns. Once it is fully melted, throw in the butter. Once the butter has fully melted and combined, remove caramel from heat and pour in heavy cream and salt. The caramel will bubble up when the heavy cream is added but it will calm down and be ready to enjoy soon. Continue to mix until caramel is smooth and uniform in color. Let cool for 15-20 minutes. Using a spoon, scoop caramel into the holes of the cookie cups.
Pin for later: