There’s nothing that makes me happier than finding a dessert that looks fancy but is in fact, incredibly easy to make. I like to keep those in my back pocket for when I want to impress my friends. Since I love to share, I thought I’d share one of these easy recipes for you to add to your back pocket as well! Trust me, you’ll definitely want to hold on to this one.
If you don’t have puff pastry in your freezer, add it to your grocery list and grab a box of it on your next trip to the grocery store. With layers upon layers of flakey goodness, it brings everything up a notch without much effort on your part. Combine with with a smooth Nutella filling and you’ve got quite literally the best of crunchy and creamy.
I had a bit of a rough afternoon this past Saturday when my anxiety got the better of me and I had a fainting incident in the National Gallery of Art. A combination of being dehydrated post-spinning, a warm exhibit room and high levels of anxiety got the better of me. I’ve fainted enough in the past to understand what was happening to me so I lay down on the floor and started chugging water. Yes, I was that person who caused high levels of panic among the museum guards and disturbed everyone else’s exhibit visit. If you were on the Badass Bitches Museum Hack tour with me or happened to be on the fourth floor of the east building on Saturday and saw this, I’m so sorry.
Needless to say, I was not feeling great for the rest of the weekend so I sought to cheer myself up the best way I know how: with food. I grabbed a few simple ingredients I always have on hand and threw together the fanciest treat I could come up with that required very little effort. For me, that will always involve puff pastry.
Do you also like to make yourself feel better with food? What’s your go-to fancy food?
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Nutella
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a non-stick mat.
- Place puff pastry on baking sheet. Slice puff pastry sheet into 12 even-sizes pieces. Whisk the egg and brush onto puff pastry. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool. Use a sharp knife to remove the tops from the bottoms of each rectangle and set puff pastry aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together Nutella, cream cheese and icing sugar. Start on slow and raise speed to medium-high. Once ingredients are fully combined and filling is smooth, transfer to an icing bag with a large round tip. Pipe filling onto bottoms of the puff pastry and place tops on top.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Stir between each 30 second session. Drizzles on puff pastry and top with hazelnuts.
Pin for later: