While I think it is important to be thankful every day and take the time to appreciate the good, it is nice to have one day a year to remind us to do it anyways.
The past year has been full of changes for me but I am so grateful for each and every one. I started a wonderful and challenging new job, I moved in with the love of my life and I got the courage to start this little pet project.
This weekend also marks the one year anniversary of my being car-free. While I was initially angry at the woman who was speeding down my residential street, blew a stop sign and totaled my little car parked on the side of the road, it has had its benefits. I won’t rattle on about the health benefits of being forced to walk everywhere, never having to dd on wine tasting day trips or how efficient DC public transport can be when you give it a chance (it’s not) because it hasn’t all been easy. True story I took an Uber to the DMV because it was cold. And to the needlepoint store. And this one time to work. Overall though, there is something liberating about not having a car and being forced to get to know my city.
Because I’ll probably have to do it at dinner tonight anyways, here are a few things I’m grateful for:
- My parents discovering Facetime and using it all the time
- Friends who might as well be family
- Coworkers who agree to eat all my baked goods when I can’t eat anymore
- Fellow metro riders who try not to stare when I needlepoint on my way to brunch
- Direct flights
- Being in good health
- Having the courage to be honest with myself about how I want to live my life
Since we're on the topic of Thanksgiving, here are a few of my favorite relevant stories and recipe round ups from around the web!
- New York Times raised the bar by skipping the turducken in favor of the piecaken. Bold.
- I don't have confrontational relatives but I still love SNLs ‘Hello’ solution to tough thanksgiving dinners.
- As a planner, I have a keen appreciation for make-ahead food, like this list of make-ahead desserts for Thanksgiving from Bon Appetit.
- Speaking of pies, Vogue’s latest Sunday #foodporn roundup is all about everyone's favorite Thanksgiving sweets
- Being my mother’s daughter I am all about the leftovers during the holidays. Glitter Guide’s beautiful DIY take away boxes make me want to jump ahead to after dinner so I can pack up a serving of turkey and mashed potatoes for lunch tomorrow!
What are you thankful for this year?