After weeks of preparations (did anyone else do their holiday shopping back in November?) Christmas is finally here! When I was younger, I wasn’t always the biggest Christmas fan. Now that I’m all grown up and don’t see my family on a regular basis however, the holidays have definitely grown on me.
During this month’s 12 Days of Cookies, gingerbread was a festive favorite. Since I’m not actually sure how seasonally appropriate gingerbread will be after Christmas, I figured I should try to fit one more dose of gingerbread in before the holiday seasons wrap up.
Love gingerbread and never seem to get enough of it? Put a few scoops of gingerbread ice cream between two gingerbread cookies!
I hope everyone is having a great time celebrating with friends and family this weekend and, perhaps most importantly, eating loads of delicious food.
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 5 Large egg yolks
- ¾ Cups granulated sugar
- ¾ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ Teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ Teaspoon allspice
- ½ Teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- Heat cream in milk in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering
- While the cream is heating up, whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl
- Temper warm milk mixture into eggs and sugar
- Mix in spices and salt
- Refrigerate batter until cool, about 8 hours
- Once cool, churn according to manufacturer’s instructions