My blog can best be described as indulgent. I’ll be the first to admit that dieting is just not possible with the delicious treats I post on Sweet Sundays but you know what, I don’t care.
Growing up in a family of sweets-lovers, I long ago mastered the art of moderation and balance. Sure I ate ice cream for dinner but I had salad with lean protein for lunch and I went to a spin class after work. Boom. Balance.
That being said, I do occasionally like to dabble in what most would consider ‘healthy’ treats.
Do you have a go to healthy snack that you pack to work? How easy is it? One of the reasons I’ve become a convert to energy balls is how easy they are to make. Grind up the ingredients, roll up and enjoy!
These cranberry chocolate energy balls make for the ideal workday snack. Filled with oats and peanut butter, they are part breakfast, while the chocolate makes them feel part indulgence as well.
- 1 Cup cranberries
- 1/2 Cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Cup rolled oats
- 1/8 Cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Pulse the cranberries, peanut butter, cocoa powder and vanilla extract in a food processor until relatively smooth
- Add in the water and pulse a few more times to make the consistency creamier
- Transfer peanut butter mixture to a large bowl and add in oats
- Using a rubber spatula, mix ingredients until fully combined
- Mix in chocolate chips
- Using clean hands, roll dough into tablespoon-sized balls and place on prepared baking sheet
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week
Adapted from a recipe by the Busy Baker