Breakfast and I have always had a love/hate relationship. I love putting maple syrup on everything but it’s also the one meal that doesn’t have the option for dessert. What’s that about?
When I make time for breakfast, I like to keep it easy while also decadent. That’s why I’ve taken to using pre-made crescent dough to make things like chocolate peanut butter crescent rolls and raspberry Nutella crescent rolls. I also love treating myself to classics like waffles and pancakes. When I can whip them up using yummy pancake mix and avoid all the fuss of pulling ingredients together? Even better.
One of the reasons I love Birch Benders (besides the fact that they make delicious pancake mix) is that they’re always looking for ways to use their mix in recipes that aren’t for pancakes! When they reached out asking if I wanted to do some recipe testing with their mix, I didn’t have to think twice before saying yes.
As a lover of all things fall (booties, fall flavors, Thanksgiving), the Birch Benders sweet potato mix was easily my favorite. After a few pancake breakfasts that had me tied to my chair to eat them, I knew I had to find a way to bring the pancakes on-the-go with me.
Filled with cinnamon and nutmeg, these muffins scream ‘fall’ in the best way possible. They’re topped with a sweet and crunchy pecan crumble that perfectly balances out the savory muffin base. Oh, and did I mention they are filled with carrots? Because they are. Don’t worry though, the carrot flavor is minimal but the textural element they bring is so worth it.
I packed a tupperware of these muffins for my golf outing on Sunday and my golf buddies were so glad that I did. Partly because it was barely 50 degrees and they were just relieved to be snacking inside after our chilly round, but also because the snack itself was delicious. One of my friends even admitted to usually hating carrot cake and she all but inhaled her muffin. That’s a good sign, right?
TL:DR: Pancake mix is for so much more than pancakes, starting with muffins!
- 10 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cup grated carrots (from about 4 medium carrots - be sure to strain out the water)
- 2 ½ cups Birch Benders sweet potato pancake mix
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside to make batter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and granulated sugar together. Mix in one egg at a time followed by the grated carrots. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Birch Benders sweet potato pancake mix, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Turn the mixer on low and mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in three batches. Once fully combined, mix in the almond milk. Scoop batter into muffin tin so that each tin is ¾ of the way full. Set aside to make topping.
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans, sugar and flour. Using (clean) hands, mix the softened butter into the rest of the ingredients to form crumble. Divide crumble evenly on top of each muffin.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
The pancake mix featured in this post was provided by Birch Benders. All opinions are my own.
Pin for later: